Cabbage Roll Casserole
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 14 oz canned tomato sauce
- 1 can water
- 1/2 cup long grain rice uncooked
- 4 cups green cabbage shredded
- 1 medium carrot shredded
- 1 cup sweet bell pepper diced
- 540 ml canned black beans, rinsed and strained optional
- Shredded cheese optional
- Combine beef, onions, garlic, salt, pepper, tomato sauce and water. Bring to a boil; stir in rice.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Place half of cabbage in a greased 9 x 13 inch (22 x 33 cm) dish.
- Add carrot, bell pepper, and black beans (if using), to rice mixture. Stir and layer half of the rice mixture on top of the cabbage.
- Repeat layers. Cover and bake in 350 F(180 C) oven for 1 hour.(Optional) Uncover, top with cheese and broil for few minutes until cheese is bubbly.
Recipe adapted from Peak of the Market, Manitoba Canada.