Yields 24 muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup quick oats
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 large ripe banana
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 medium zucchini – grated
- 1 large carrot – grated
- 1/3 cup hemp seeds – (optional)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips – (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit. Grease mini muffin pan or coat with non-stick cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In large bowl, mash ripe banana. Whisk in margarine, egg, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Add flour mixture to banana mixture and stir until just combined.
- Grate carrot and zucchini directly into bowl. Add chocolate chips and hemp hearts, if using. Stir gently to incorporate added ingredients.
- Evenly distribute batter throughout mini muffin pan.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centre of a muffin comes out clean.
- Let muffins rest in pan before moving to a cooling rack.
Recipe courtesy of the dietitians from Carrots & Cake Balanced Nutrition Consulting based in Winnipeg, Manitoba – https://www.carrotsandcake.ca/recipes/carrot-zucchini-oatmeal-mini-muffins