Freezer Breakfast Wraps
Whole grain, egg and veggie-filled wraps that can be enjoyed at anytime of the day.
- 1 large potato (white or sweet) chopped
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound protein (breakfast sausage – skin removed, ground chicken or turkey, bacon, or beans)
- 1/2 bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 small onion chopped
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup cheese shredded
- 10 whole grain tortillas
- Bring a small saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the chopped potatoes and cook until tender, about 7 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Heat half the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the chosen protein, chopped peppers and onion, break the meat up into small pieces until cooked through.
- Add the potato to the protein and vegetables and cook over medium-low heat until combined. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs together with the milk, salt and pepper. Heat the remaining oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Add the egg mixture and cook, stirring to scramble, until just cooked through. Remove from heat immediately. Do not overcook.
- Top each tortilla with the protein mixture, eggs then sprinkle with cheese. Roll up into a burrito and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat with all the tortillas. Serve immediately or freeze the burritos on a sheet pan for approximately 1- 2 hours. Once frozen, wrap each burrito in parchment paper and store in a large freezer bag for up to 3 months. To re-heat, leave in parchment paper and place on a microwave safe plate. Microwave on high for 2 minutes, or until warmed through.
Recipe adapted from and contributed by Glenlawn Collegiate as advertised in Manitoba School and Childcare Recipe Collection eBook.