Sweet Potato & Chickpea Burgers
- 2 cups chickpeas canned or cooked
- 2 cups sweet potato cooked and mashed
- 1 cup brown rice cooked
- 1/2 medium onion finely chopped
- 3/4 cup quick oats
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas. Coarsely mash chickpeas with a potato masher, or pulse in a food processor.
- Stir in the mashed sweet potato, cooked brown rice, chopped onion, quick oats, and spices. The mixture should be moist, but hold its shape when formed. If the mixture is too wet, add a little more oats.
- Lightly oil a baking sheet, or line with parchment paper. Each burger patty should measure approximately 1/4 to 1/3 cup (yields 16 with 1/3 cup or 22 using 1/4 cup). Scoop out mixture, form into patties and lightly press onto a baking sheet.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until the burger patties are firm, flipping them halfway through.
- Serve on a whole wheat bun or crumble in a wrap, or on top of a salad.
- These are great for batch cooking. Store in the fridge for a few days or keep extra burger patties in the freezer.
- Make your own quick oats by simply blending rolled oats in a food processor. Pulse until desired texture is achieved.
- If using a food processor, include the sweet potato skins to boost fiber and minimize waste.
- Use a 1/4 cup scoop to form the patties when serving young children, and a 1/3 or 1/2 cup scoop when serving older children